Friday, March 20, 2009

気張らずとも

There are students at Kuwait University from most of the Arab countries, but actually half of them were born in Kuwait and all of them have lived here in Kuwait for years with their parents, who have been working here, either. So their accents are truly Kuwaiti’s accent, and the way of behavior, fashion, etc, are also definitely Kuwaiti’s ones. However, they seem to be proud of their identities strongly based on their parents’ country, even though they have been there once or twice a year. It’s quite natural and common for them to have complex identities and I never deny the fact, but sometimes their excessive patriotism seems to be “pitiful” to me.

For example, I met a girl in a cultural exhibition at university, who is from a small town near to Damascus and has also lived here for nearly 10 years with her family. She speaks English and French fluently, and she said to me that most of the Syrian people can speak both English and French fluently at the same time. I have been to Syria twice, but I couldn’t meet any person like that (a few were able to speak a little); of course I know it was too short to meet all the Syrian people, though! So I asked to her why it is, and she answered it is because that they are proud of their original language, Arabic, so they don’t “want” to speak even if they have a great command of both languages. For me, as one of the Japanese, I think ordinary Japanese people can and do never speak any foreign language, even if it is almost true that 99% of them were taught in schools, but this is not because they are so proud of their language but because they don’t need to use any foreign language (there is no chance and necessity to use) and as a result they can’t. If they don’t need to speak, they don’t have to, so the foreign language ability of the ordinary people (not scholars or students) doesn’t make any difference for me, and thus for me, taking into consideration her background, she seemed pitiful, eager to emphasize (exaggerate? I don’t know the fact, so I can’t decide) the great ability of foreign languages of Syrian people.

Patriotism makes human being human being. I never deny it, but I can also never deny the negative aspects of it at the same time. All the people on the earth are already great enough not to have any necessity to proud of them. She also didn’t have to proud of her original nationalities, because she is there and will be there without endorsing her identity.

4 comments:

hnnvansier said...

Great, I can read and understand the whole text :)

As you mentioned, patriotism is needed and a good habit to keep millions in an order and have strong bonds. I think I wrote that to you before, nations and races were created to meet and to know each others.

It is weird, that a Syrian seems herself 'different' from other Kuwait people and other Arabic countries. Are not they all Arabs? What is Syria? That country even did not exist in before World War I. There was not a Syria, an Iraq, a Saudi Arabia nor Kuwait. Those are all 'fake' countries established by United Kingdom. Just to rule them easier; and to divide their oil with France.

You know I am Turkish. And there are 7 independent Turkic countries around the world (Turkey, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan and Northern Cyprus.). And there are dozens of semi-independent ones and several oblasts (in Russian Federation). Our differences within are more than those Arabs. Some are Shia (Azeri people) some are Christians (Gagavuz people) and some even dont believe in any religion (Saha people).

More than the half of Turks lived under Soviet rule, hard level communism. We did not. Their main 'foreign' language is Russian; ours English. Our history is Seljuks and Ottomans; theirs is Tamerlane and USSR.

As in terms, we all speak 'Turkish' but I barely understand some of them (Uzbeks) and I definitely can not understand anything if a Kazakh is speaking.

But still, I've never seen a Turk claiming he is different from others. But Uzbeks do that, they hate Kirghizs. And Turkmens are not good with Uzbeks. Kazakhs find Russians more close to themselves...

I mean, those Central Asian people lived together for hundrends of years. You can suppose, they should be more friendly to themselves. But the fact is, they are not; but we are to them.

Reason? Soviet politics... They divided them into small, "can-not-unite" divisions.

Same thing also happened to Arabs. Unfortunately, UK played a bigger game on them; a long-termed one. Today, Soviets are no more. For Arabs; USA and others keep rolling the wheel.

Whatever... -are you still reading? wow-

I had a friend 2 years ago. He transferred another university, another city. He was also a law student. He was not an ultra-nationalist; but he hated Arabs. His view was not a "kill them all" but close to "Do not bother with them, let them live forever but away from our sights"

Reason? Because of 'patriotism'. This Arabic issue was a great discussion topic between him and me. He claimed that Arabs back strapped us in WWI; they sided with England. True, however that was not "all of them" and that was a hundrend years ago, those people were their 'grand fathers' fathers'.

This is where he was getting out of line. He used to keep telling "this happened before, and will happen again. We can not trust them." The whole Arabic nation? "Yes."

This is also a game. A game was played to divide Turks and Arabs into separate sides. West, tore off the tides between those two biggest Muslim nations. Arabs and Turks, did not have 'any' good relationship for 100 years.

But the worse, there is one Arabic nation; but over 30 Arabic states. Is not that weirder than the weird itself? Can you tell me the difference between Kuwait and Emirates? Or Syria and Yemen?

What is sad is, those people are still losing time with "Syrians are better than Egyptians because we know French", instead of "We Arabs are a great nation because we Syrians have this, and Egyptians have that, and Iraq has that..."

This was Ottoman thought. Except for the last 30-35 years, for nearly 6 century, Ottoman people were proud of the whole country. They've never used the term 'Turk' or 'Arab' or 'Kurd'. It was the Eternal State in their views. They saw the state as the 'true place for humans to live forever'. Yes, this over confidence started their end; but what Im trying to tell is, we were all same. Really equal, even non-Muslims were.

Today, because of nationalism, everyone, including Turkey itself, love to defame Ottomans. Because it is easy; "They were bad, so we are good".

But how come, Ottomans hold 35 independent state of today's as one union for 500 years. How many languages does this make in total? 100? 150? How many different races? And they still exist today, no assimilation. And not a single rebellion until 19th century, which I agree, Ottoman government were corrupted.

Whatever again.. This message became an objectless writing..

Well, good night Mika. It was nice to be able to understand the whole article of yours :)

- Kerim.

soissoimeme said...

Thanks for comments as usual.

Well, I have a lot to say, but I think we're sharing the basic points, so just let me add a few "feelings" of mine.

Even if we could say that all the states are "imagined communities", we're still diffrent enough to make us depressed and still have basic naturals in common. As long as we're human being in that sense, it makes no sense to mention slight differences on apperances or languages if they are objectively closed each other.

Now I can almost recognize the difference among Eygiptian, Syrian, Lebanese, Omanese and Yemanese in their accent and apperance. Even for Kuwaiti and UAEs, I still can find distinct differences by their attitude or fashion.

We're still same, but different, but same, but different.....eternal theme, which makes us human.

p.s. I happily read your e-mails also, and now it's one of my things to look forward to.(musics also) Please take a patience to wait my responce....as usual, sorry>_<

[-_-] said...

Im patient enough :) Ah I just want to leave a comment to new posts.. pfft, I drank too much cafe&coke, grr. Anyways, some states are imitation, I know there are differences. But if you keep two brothers separated for a few years, they'd have differences too.

Those people feel they are different because they are separated and told that way.

As for me, I am a Turk and proud of that. My culture, my history, my language, my country... But I am not higher than an Arab or a Japanese. Those guys should be proud of themselves too.

Two group of people I really dislike and dont wanna be friends with:

1st: The ones who do not like their mothers&fathers and behave badly to them (here is a motto: "I do not like those dont like their mothers") Hmm, mothers are blessed.

2nd: The ones who do not like their nation. If one could 'sell' his nation that raised him, he could sell everything for his personal interest.

soissoimeme said...

Hey, again, thanks.

Of course I can agree the two pointes you mentioned, but I suppose it's quite difficult to find a person who "really" doesn't like his or her parents or country.